The Archaeological Museum of Mykonos was built in 1902, in order to house the
finds from the "Purification Pit" of 426/5 B.C., which was discovered in 1898 on
the islet of Rhenia, by D. Stavropoulos.
The exhibition of the museum
includes a large number of vases, ranging from the prehistoric to the late
Hellenistic period (25th-1st century B.C.), grave statues, and funerary urns
from Rhenia, and very few finds from Mykonos.
The Aegean Maritime Museum is housed in a traditional Mykonian building of
the 19th century located at the centre of the Town of Mykonos, in the area known
as Tria Pigadia. The building was the home of the legendary Master of the
merchant ship "Enosis", Nikolaos Sourmelis, who assisted the Cretans during
their war of independence from the Ottoman Empire.
Delos Museum was built in 1904 by the Archaeological Society at Athens and
originally consisted of the five western rooms. It was enlarged in 1931 and 1972
and in the same period, the exterior of the building underwent great, but
unfortunate, alterations. The present exhibition is arranged in nine